Navigating the complexities of the collective bargaining landscape can be challenging and, for those who have experience working in unionized environments, many learned on the job without having had any formal guidance or training on the conceptual, legal, tactical and strategic framework of this tricky terrain.
In this intensive, highly interactive four-day Labour Relations Certificate Program designed for HR practitioners and conducted by Zoom, participants will develop a comprehensive understanding of labour relations, along with strategies to engage, motivate, and develop more effective and positive labour-management relationships.
What I will learn?
After completing the certificate program, participants will have the skills and information required to:
- Navigate the collective bargaining landscape, including relevant labour-related legislation
- Apply the core elements of the labour relations framework to day-to-day labour-management interactions
- Interpret and administer the collective agreement to ensure productivity and consistent application
- Effectively prepare for grievance meetings and arbitrations
- Strategically approach labour relations negotiations
- Develop interest-based methods and tactics to diffuse positional behaviour during bargaining
- Participate with acumen and confidence in all aspects of the labour-management relationship
What is covered?
During this four-day, eight-module Labour Relations Certificate Program virtual experience designed for HR practitioners, participants will collaborate with peers through instruction, case studies, scenarios and simulations to:
- Examine the legal landscape governing labour relations
- Review collective agreement administration and best practices in contract interpretation
- Implement proactive strategies to develop positive union-management relationships
- Understand and navigate the collective bargaining process, including the respective interests of the parties and the impact of the political, economic, social and technological environments
- Explore effective methods to traverse the grievance and arbitration processes
- Participate in three (3) hands-on simulation-based learning experiences related to union organizing and certification, the grievance process and labour negotiations
- Explore a constructive communication methodology to engage in challenging conversations and foster effective union-management relationships
Who should attend?
This certificate program is highly recommended for the HR practitioner who works in a unionized setting or a practitioner wishing to further develop their expertise in labour relations.
What is the course format?
This certificate program combines live virtual instruction through Zoom with hands-on experiential learning through case studies, scenarios, group work/break out discussions and simulations.
- Live Virtual Sessions: There will be online instructor-led modules, during which practical examples and experiences will be shared.
- Materials: Participants will be provided with session workbooks to follow along with the content covered in each module and to take notes, as well as additional pre-session and post-session assignments to prepare for the simulations.
- Peer Learning and Group Work: Participants will have the opportunity to learn from each other while answering questions and sharing experiences and observations during the modules, as well as through practical, hands-on exercises and simulations based on real-world labour relations events and processes.
- Time Commitment: This four-day certificate program will be delivered in eight modules. Participants will spend four (5) hours each day participating in the virtual sessions and accompanying exercises and simulation activities. Over the duration of the course, participants can expect to spend an additional six (6) hours completing work outside of the daily sessions, either in break out groups with peers or individually preparing for case study debriefs or simulation participation. The in-class virtual modules will be held as follows
In Class Modules:
Module 1 - Monday, November 14, 2022 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Module 2 – Monday, November 14, 2022 (2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Module 3 – Tuesday, November 15, 2022 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Module 4 – Tuesday, November 15, 2022 (2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Module 5 – Wednesday, November 16, 2022 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Module 6 – Wednesday, November 16, 2022 (2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Module 7 – Thursday, November 17, 2022 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Module 8 – Thursday, November 17, 2022 (1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
21 hours of instruction time. CPD Code will be provided after program is completed.
6 hours of self-directed learning. Hours should be added to the subcategory A4. Self-Directed Learning.
To receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program, you must successfully complete online assessment.
This program will not be recorded. This is an intact program in which attendees must attend all of the sessions in order to qualify for the certificate.