Our program will educate employers on their rights when it comes to verifying and managing claims of disability and workplace injury. Employers have rights and it is imperative they know the type of information they are entitled to receive when managing these claims.
This session will better equip a Human Resources Professional to handle accommodation issues and avoid costly complaints and ligation. The session will involve group discussions about appropriate strategies in the accommodation process with the help of practical examples and fact scenarios.
What participants will learn:
- What is (and is not) a "disability" under the Human Rights Code?
- The duty to inquire and when the duty to accommodate is triggered
- The duty to accommodate and undue hardship
- The obligations of the employer and employee during the accommodation and return to work process
- How to communicate with employees requesting accommodation
- Accommodation of physical and mental disabilities
- How to obtain useful medical information about an employee's condition
- How to implement and monitor a gradual return to work program
- How to discipline (or terminate) for illness or injury-related attendance issues
- The WSIB process generally
- Reporting and return-to-work obligations under the WSIB
- How to effectively handle recurring conditions in the WSIB context
- Entitlements to WSIB cost relief
- How to discipline (or terminate) after a WSIB claim
- How to object to a WSIB ruling
We are listening to you, our Members.
You have provided feedback that you would prefer to receive soft copies of presentations instead of printed materials, in order to be mindful of the environment and to reduce our carbon footprint.
Therefore, in 2020,
HRPA Professional Development will, whenever possible, provide a soft copy of the participant course material. We will not produce printed materials unless there is reason to do so
(e.g. program format).
If you absolutely need a hard copy, we request that you print and bring it with you. Hard copies will not be available on site.
Thank you for your understanding.