In light of current events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, this program will be offered via Zoom.
Module 1 - Monday, June 15th, 2020 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)
Module 2 - Monday, June 15th, 2020 (2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Module 3 - Thursday, June 18th, 2020 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)
Module 4 - Thursday, June 18th, 2020 (2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Module 5 - Monday, June 22nd, 2020 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)
Module 6 - Monday, June 22nd, 2020 (2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Module 7 - Thursday, June 25th, 2020 (9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.)
Module 8 - Thursday, June 25th, 2020 (2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Please click here for additional dates for Workplace Investigations Training and Certificate Program offerings.
Lawyers in private practice who are not members of HRPA are not eligible to participate in this program.
With the new legal duties surrounding workplace harassment investigations, it has become crucial to conduct legally sound investigations. Improper or incomplete investigations cost money and time and can erode credibility. Unfortunately, the consequences of an improper investigation can be dire including reaching the wrong result, having difficulty supporting an outcome, or even facing legal action or a complaint to the Ministry of Labour.
The Workplace Investigations Training & Certificate Program is an in-depth program that effectively equips participants with the ability to recognize, investigate and report the findings of complex workplace investigations.
This certificate program will be hosted by one of several experts from Bernardi Human Resource Law LLP.
The program covers:
- Legal issues surrounding investigations including requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Human Rights Code and common law.
- The psychology of workplace and sexual harassment including the psychological dynamics, contributors to harassment, bystander interventions and the role of managers.
- The practical application of conducting workplace investigations including rules of evidence, interviewing tips, note taking and report writing.
This is a very hands-on, practical course and participants will walk away with checklists, tools and forms to enable them to immediately apply their knowledge and skills. The program uses a case-study approach to honing participants' investigation and reporting skills and participants will be assessed on their report writing skills.
The Workplace Investigations Training & Certificate will cover:
- Knowing the law; when you must investigate and when other approaches may be better. Understanding the psychology; the victim and bullying styles and types.
- Conducting fair and comprehensive investigations; duty of fairness, rules of evidence and getting beyond "he said, she said."
- Detecting deception through statement analysis.
- How to minimize bias in the investigation process.
- Writing a report that will withstand legal scrutiny.
The Workplace Investigations Certificate Program has been approved by Law Society of Ontario for 2.5 Professionalism and 18 Substantive Hours.