Please click here for additional dates for
Workplace Investigations Training and Certificate Program offerings.
Lawyers in private practice who are not members of HRPA are not eligible to participate in this program.
With the new legal duties surrounding workplace harassment investigations, it has become crucial to conduct legally sound investigations. Improper or incomplete investigations cost money and time and can erode credibility. Unfortunately, the consequences of an improper investigation can be dire including reaching the wrong result, having difficulty supporting an outcome, or even facing legal action or a complaint to the Ministry of Labour.
Workplace Investigations Training & Certificate Program is an in-depth program that effectively equips participants with the ability to recognize, investigate and report the findings of complex workplace investigations. The program takes place over three days with each day building on the skills and knowledge of the previous day(s).
The program covers:
- Legal issues surrounding investigations including requirements under the
Occupational Health and Safety Act,
Ontario Human Rights Code and common law.
- The psychology of workplace and sexual harassment including the psychological dynamics, contributors to harassment, bystander interventions and the role of managers.
- The practical application of conducting workplace investigations including rules of evidence, interviewing tips, note taking and report writing.
This is a very hands-on, practical course and participants will walk away with checklists, tools and forms to enable them to immediately apply their knowledge and skills. The program uses a case-study approach to honing participants' investigation and reporting skills and participants will be assessed on their report writing skills.
Participants can choose from two learning tracks in completing this program:
The Workplace Investigations Training
will include all three days of in-depth programming, concluding after the third day with no additional coursework or academic requirements.The cost for the training track is $1,500 plus HST.
The Workplace Investigations Certificate
will feature the same in-depth, three day programming, with the added option of obtaining an official certificate in Workplace Investigations. To earn the certificate, candidates much complete all three days in class, as well as completing and submitting a capstone report after the classroom module concludes. The report will be evaluated by the facilitators and marked as a pass or fail. The cost for the certificate track is $1,800 plus HST. Report Writing is eligible for 4 additional CPD Hours that can be entered manually to your Log
The Workplace Investigations Training & Certificate will cover:
- Knowing the law; when you must investigate and when other approaches may be better. Understanding the psychology; the victim and bullying styles and types.
- Conducting fair and comprehensive investigations; duty of fairness, rules of evidence and getting beyond "he said, she said."
- Detecting deception through statement analysis.
- How to minimize bias in the investigation process.
- Writing a report that will withstand legal scrutiny.
The Workplace Investigations Certificate Program has been approved by Law Society of Ontario for 2.5 Professionalism and 18 Substantive Hours.