Pensions and retirement savings used to be a relatively straightforward area for HR professionals.
While still a very important element of employee compensation, the landscape of pension and retirement savings has become much more complex.
Longer life expectancies and workplace demographics that often skew toward the more mature end of the spectrum are also complicating factors. And as pension law and regulation continue to evolve, a good understanding of the legal framework, best practices and risk management is critical to successful plan administration.
In this certificate course, master one of the most important elements of employee compensation and learn how to make your firm's programs as efficient as possible. This is an invaluable opportunity to further your career and enhance your company's effectiveness by becoming an expert in the area of pension and retirement savings.
What will I learn?
After completing the certificate program, participants will have the skills and information required to:
- Gain an understanding of the legal and regulatory framework that applies to pension and other retirement savings plans.
- Learn tips on best practices in plan administration and governance.
- Get strategies to reduce risk and liability in plan administration.
- Develop an understanding of investment and plan structure principles across different plan types
This program will not be recorded. This is an intact program in which attendees must attend all of the sessions in order to qualify for the certificate. To receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program, the candidate must successfully complete an online assessment after each scheduled module.
What is covered?
During this four-day, eight-module virtual experience designed for HR practitioners, participants will collaborate with peers through instruction, case studies, scenarios and simulations that include:
Module 1 – Plan Overview and Statutory Requirements
- Overview of defined contribution plans, defined benefit plans, and other registered plans
- Pension standards registration and compliance requirements
- Tax registration and reporting requirements (e.g., plan registration requirements, advantages of registration, T4 reporting, pension adjustments, etc.)
Module 2 – Key Concepts – Defined Benefit Plans
- Plan funding
- Investment rules (30%/10%) and regulations
- Actuarial funding, valuations and assumptions
- DB limits under ITA
Module 3 – Key Concepts -Defined Contribution Plans
- Service providers and investment options (risk appetites)
- Default investments
- DC/money purchase limits under the ITA
Module 4 – Investment Concepts Explained – for DB & DC Plans
- Investment managers
- Alternative investments
- Global & Canada investment trends
Module 5 – Best Practices in Communications & Record Keeping
- Best practices for all organization types & size
- Common communication pitfalls
- The importance of clear and accurate communications
- Communications in a post-COVID world
Module 6 – Administrative Guidelines for Life Events
- Beneficiary Designations
- Leaves of Absence
- Separation of Employment
- Marital Equalization Payments
- Employer Bankruptcy
Module 7 – Plan Member’s transition to Retirement
- Helping your members address the retirement gap
- Decumulation product trends and insights
- Improving Member outcomes
Module 8 – Governance & Risk Management
- Principles of plan governance
- Risk management (including de-risking) and best practices in plan governance
Who should attend?
HR professionals/Executives, VPs/Directors/Managers of Human Resources, HR generalists, Pension Committee Members, Boards of Trustees, C-suite Executives. Head of Finance, Finance Managers, Analysts, Pension Specialists, HR Consultants, Business Owners.
What is the course format?
This certificate program combines live virtual instruction with hands-on experiential learning through case studies, scenarios, group work/break out discussions and simulations.
Live Virtual Sessions:
There will be online instructor-led modules, during which practical examples and experiences will be shared.
Participants will be provided with session workbooks to follow along with the content covered in each module and to take notes, as well as additional pre-session readings and post-session assignments.
Peer Learning and Group Work:
Participants will have the opportunity to learn from each other while answering questions and sharing experiences and observations during the modules, as well as through practical, hands-on exercises and simulations based on real-world labour relations events and processes.
This four-day certificate program will be delivered in eight modules. Participants will spend four (4.5) hours each day participating in the virtual sessions and accompanying exercises and simulation activities. Over the duration of the course, participants can expect to spend an additional five (5) hours completing offline independent work (outside of the daily sessions). The in-class virtual modules will be held as follows:
Module 1 – October 23, 2023 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm EST)
Module 2 – October 23, 2023 (2:00 pm – 4:30 pm EST)
Module 3 – October 25, 2023 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm EST)
Module 4 – October 25, 2023 (2:00 pm – 4:30 pm EST)
Module 5 – October 30, 2023 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm EST)
Module 6 - October 30, 2023 (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm EST)
Module 7 – November 1, 2023 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm EST)
Module 8 - November 1, 2023 (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm EST)
*** CPBI Members can contact CPBI Ontario at email@example.com to receive the coupon code.
The promo code entitles you to the HRPA Member rate. If you are an HRPA member, you will automatically receive the HRPA Member rate without having to apply the promo code. Registrants are allowed only one discount per registration, equivalent to the HRPA Member rate.
To receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program, the candidate must successfully complete an online assessment after each scheduled module.
This program will not be recorded. This is an intact program in which attendees must attend all of the sessions in order to qualify for the certificate.
For more information please Call the Toll-free number: 888 788-3185 Choose 1 for Region, then Ext. 3email firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Difficulties/Questions: Please reach out to the Professional Development team at Professionaldevelopment@hrpa.ca.