There is a common misconception that terminated employees are entitled to a "severance package." From a legal standpoint, this is simply not true. The purpose of this webcast is to describe precisely what a dismissed employee is in fact entitled to, and specifically how the possibility – or fact – of new work or other income impacts these entitlements. The concept is called "mitigation" of damages.
Participants will learn:
- What is a period of reasonable notice?
- How can a contract of employment be used to displace reasonable notice?
- What is the law of "mitigation?"
- How do earnings after termination impact a former employee's entitlements?
- How hard does a terminated employee have to look for work after termination?
- What strategies can an employer use to reduce its obligations by taking advantage of the law of mitigation?
Who should attend?
HR professionals; finance professionals; anyone else who manages employee terminations.