Learning & Giving back! As suggested by HRPA members and as part of our commitment to corporate social responsibility, HRPA has identified Indspire and Black Youth Helpline as recommended charities. Should you wish to support please select the $5 donation option upon checkout. Thank you!
The Road Map to Change - Exploring the “Canadian Experience” Myth
For One Night Only, presenting an amazing Double Feature: Nav Bhatia, Raptors SuperFan, and Nick Noorani are sharing their experience, wisdom & insights with the Employment Networking Group!
Limited spots are available so don’t delay, register today. Join us for what will surely be an awe-inspiring, (Super)fantastic, slam dunk of an evening!
We are a country of immigrants. Over 21% of the Canadian population is made up of people who once called another country “home”. We embrace and celebrate this diversity as one of our greatest strengths. But then why do we so often hear “Do you have Canadian Experience?” in job advertisements and interviews?
How do we reconcile our proud tradition of welcoming newcomers to Canada while justifying not hiring them, despite their having years of diverse and practical (if not universal) work experience in their homelands?
Our two speakers will share their success stories, illustrating that the struggle is real but can be overcome with perseverance and resilience and, furthermore, that the positive economic benefit can be huge for any company that truly and wholeheartedly embraces diversity!
This unique event will be sure to educate, inspire and entertain. Those who have experienced similar journeys will relate, those who haven’t will be enlightened, and everyone, regardless of their personal journeys, will learn, grow and enjoy!
- Start with “why”; learn the positive business outcomes and significant contributions that can be gained from hiring new immigrants
- Understand, as outlined by the Ontario Rights Tribunal, the risks associated with the “Canadian Experience” requirement and prima facie discrimination
- Learn how a “Canadian Experience” requirement must pass the legal test for a bona fide occupational requirement
- Learn how to uncover your unconscious bias in interviewing and shed light on some of the myths and misperceptions that may be fueling this bias.
- Increase empathy, understanding & insight to better address, relate, respond and initiate positive change
- Understanding how resilience comes from within and plays an essential part in one’s career and in everyday life
- Learning how motivation, determination, hard work, and stick-to-itiveness can pave the way to both professional and personal success
- Finding strength in overcoming racial disparity, discrimination, and adversity
5:00 pm Naseem 'Nick' Noorani Presentation
5:30 pm Q&A
6:00 pm Nav Bhatia |The Raptors Super Fan Presentation
6:30 pm Q&A
7:00 pm Wrap Up