Conflict in the workplace is inevitable. This session will enhance your confidence and ability to manage workplace conflict, deal with "unreasonable" people and approach sensitive issues by developing an interest-based negotiation framework. Practice key communication skills and questioning skills employed in effective conflict management. Learn how to shift a difficult conversation to a learning conversation.
This Program counts for seven (7) CPD hours and combines live virtual instruction through Zoom with hands-on experiential learning through plenary discussions and break-out exercises.
Live Virtual Sessions: There will be online instructor-led modules, supplemented by a power-point presentation. Practical examples and experiences will be shared.
Materials: Participants will be provided with session workbooks and exercises to follow along with the content covered and to take notes.
Peer Learning and Group Work: Participants will have the opportunity to learn from each other while answering questions and sharing experiences and observations throughout the workshop and during small group exercises.
Time Commitment: This Program will be delivered in two half-day sessions. Participants will spend three (3.5) hours each day participating in the virtual sessions and accompanying exercises. The in-class virtual modules will be held as follows:
Module 1 – July 16, 2024 (8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
Module 2 – July 17, 2024 (8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
- Exploring the Nature of Conflict
- Using the Triangle of Satisfaction as an analytical tool to understand the broad range of interests people often have
- When and how to apply interest, rights and power-based approaches to resolving conflict
- What is Brainfishing?
- Questioning skills to cause reflection and move people from their positions and focus on interests as a way of breaking impasse
- The Three Dimensions of Communication
- Key communication skills including active listening skills and effective questions
- Reframing negative language into a more productive, future-focused discussion
- Understanding the three conversations that take place during a difficult conversation
- Shifting a difficult conversation to a learning conversation
Registration Difficulties/Questions: Please reach out to the Professional Development team at Professionaldevelopment@hrpa.ca